At Dawsongroup Ireland Ltd., we provide a unique cross-docking solution. We can take an empty plot of land and construct a fully operational cross-docking facility in under six weeks.
WHAT IS CROSS-DOCKING AND WHY DOES IT MATTER?
Cross-docking is a logistics procedure where products from a supplier or manufacturing plant are distributed directly to a customer or retail chain with marginal to no handling or storage time. Cross-docking takes place in a distribution docking terminal; usually consisting of trucks and dock doors on two (inbound and outbound) sides with minimal storage space. The name ‘cross-docking’ explains the process of receiving products through an inbound dock and then transferring them across the dock to the outbound transportation dock.
In simple terms, inbound products arrive through transportation such as trucks/trailers and are allocated to a receiving dock on one side of the ‘cross dock’ terminal. Once the inbound transportation has been docked its products can be moved either directly or indirectly to the outbound destinations; they can be unloaded, sorted and screened to identify their end destinations. After being sorted, products are moved to the other end of the ‘cross dock’ terminal via a forklift, conveyor belt, pallet truck or another means of transportation to their destined outbound dock. When outbound transportation has been loaded, the products can then make their way to customers.
What does the current focus on sustainability have to do with on-shelf availability and costs in the physical supply chain for FMCG? Everything.
An increase in political momentum locally, nationally and worldwide has seen new regulations being created around issues such as resource scarcity, climate change, and pollution. These regulations highlight the critical changes that the food industry is set to face in the upcoming years when delivering to city/urban areas.
Until now, the most important parameters for supply chains have been in relation to cost efficiency and on-shelf availability. However, factors amongst those outlined have contributed to the emergence of cross docking operations.
When is cross-docking used?
Our Cross-docking facilities can advance the supply chain for a variety of specific products. For one, unpreserved or temperature controlled items such as food which need to be transported as quickly as possible can be benefitted by this process. Additionally, already packaged and sorted products ready for transportation to a particular customer can become a faster and more efficient process through cross-docking.
Many companies have benefited from using cross-docking. Some of the benefits include:
• Cross-docking reduces the square footage needed in your facility. Because little to no storage occurs, only a small amount of space is needed for this activity.
• The utilization of cross-docking can help to reduce transportation costs. With optimized routing, fewer miles are wasted, reducing fuel and associated vehicle service costs.
• Utilizing cross-docking also assists in the reduction of delivery times. Typically facilities offering these services are located in geographical areas that are near the final delivery destination. This helps to reduce delivery times by eliminating excess travel.
• Cost savings, increased product quality and reduced delivery times due to cross-docking also factor in to help increase customer service satisfaction. This will help to retain current customers and capture additional market share
• With cross-docking your facility can assist in managing and improving customer product quality.
• The reduction of material handling needs leads directly to the labor cost savings associated with these activities.
All of these benefits help demonstrate one key issue: implementing cross-docking can provide your business with many new opportunities to save money, increase efficiency and better serve customers.
At Dawsongroup Ireland Ltd., we provide a unique cross-docking solution. We can take an empty plot of land and construct a fully operational cross-docking facility in under six weeks. This facility can be temperature controlled in order to maintain the chill/ frozen qualities of the product. We can help save labor with our elevated facilities operating at the same height as vehicles. Being asset rental experts, we are able to design, install and maintain facilities in the fraction of the time of a conventional build. In addition, during the ongoing period of uncertainty, our cross-docking facilities can be relocated or upgraded as circumstances dictate.
To find out more about our services, contact us today.